Thursday, September 1, 2011

2011 Spot and Stalk Archery Coues Whitetail

Well all I have to say is its been a fun year spot and stalking because I was not seeing them from the blind or even using water so I thought, "hey I have not got one on a spot and stalk before why not try it". Now I have tried LOTS of times and always get busted at about 100 yards. Every evening after work I have been heading out NOT glassing up bucks but just STILL hunting. I would work my way up the mountain so I could be above any of the deer I would see and take a few steps and look, take a few steps and look. I have seen anywhere from 5 to 15 deer every evening and on the weekends doing this and getting VERY close to a fawn (3 feet), no lie it was so AWESOME to see the little guy that close. Well we did the same as every night and this time my dad was by my side. Now I wanted a big buck and have passed this buck I shot a few times now. There were a couple of great bucks in the herd but yesterday evening the nice ones were not present. I had been sneaking down the hill when I seen movement and noticed a doe and her fawn. Thinking it was the same 2 I had been seeing on the hill I did not think the others were there. As I sat and watched I seen 4 more does 1 spike walk out and then the monster 3x2 that I shot (lol). I waited in anticipation that I would see the others and waited and waited no big bucks. So why not just try and get as close as I could, I told myself. When I got to 70 yards I had a good shooting lane that the buck would walk through. I started to get even closer and saw a doe looking right at me so I stopped. Then it happened she started blowing and stomping and then to my right the same thing I thought well here they go they are out of here in a second. After what seemed to be 20 minutes (actually 5) they continued munching down on every blade of grass and what I call buck brush on the hill. Now I am in some of that buck brush and all that is sticking out in sight is my head, so I continue down the hill after my tasty backstraps. When I got to 50 yards from the doe I seen the buck step out so I drew only to have him go back behind the trees. Now I am thinking to myself if I do get him to present the shot do I take it? Is he big enough? Heck ya you can't eat the antlers and the best reason to shoot him YOU HAVE NEVER GOT A SPOT AND STALK ARCHERY COUES!!!!! That sealed the deal he did a 180 turn and walk fast through the opening and all I could think is he is not going to stop.....but he did right at the tree line. All I could see was his body so I ranged him at exactly 50.8 yards drew my Bowtech destroyer 350 back and put the 50 yard pin right behind his shoulder, once I was sure it was perfect I let the victory vforce tipped with a Slick Trick magnum 4 blade knocked with a tracer knock go and seen it dissapear into his side then stick in the dirt behind him. He jumped in a 180 turn and ran away. By this time I knew I just shot my first ever, after work, spot and stalk archery Coues Whitetail deer. I asked myself, "Did I just do that? Was it a good shot?" I walked on down to my arrow to find it completely passed through my tasty backstraps and I knew then from the blood on the ground he was not going to be far. When my dad finally made it down to me I showed him the blood and thanked him for being there with me for my first spot and stalk buck. We gave the buck sometime to expire by walking back up the mountain to grab the jeep. When we got back up to my tracer knock that I left as a marker we started on the blood trail with our lights on. Where the mountain goes around was 30 yards and when we got around the mountain I could see eyes in my light at 30 yards. So we watched the eyes for any movement and noticed they were on the ground and knew he did expire just after I had arrowed him. As we approched the deer that little guy was not big at all but the feeling of being able to have harvested a Coues Whitetail with my rifle at short range, at long range, my first 100" mark through a blind with a bow and now my FIRST SPOT AND STALK ARCHERY was a feeling of great accomplishment. Like I said he may not be big but I have done it all I have gone beyond where many do not go I had done it. That feeling will be my last feeling of accomplishing all the ways of hunting. I can now say I HAVE DONE IT ALL. Thank you all especially my dad for getting me into the sport and addiction of hunting, my wife Misty and kids for putting up with me being gone and supporting me, my mom for supporting me in the sport when I was growing up, to my friends Bruce, Ronnie, Doug, Rick (my taxidermist), and everyone else that has told me and pushed me for my success in the field over the years. I have learned alot and taught alot through trial and error and to those tasty backstraps God has given me.....THANK YOU without God and his creations we would not have these beautiful creatures. If you look closley at the left antler it does have 3 points...LOL





No comments:

Post a Comment